Wednesday, February 15, 2012

One of these things is not like the others- Distressed floor

Have you ever had one of those moments where you realized that you just aren't like most people? I was anxiously gathering my plethora of power tools the other day to work on the project I'm going to show you and  had one of those moments. As I'm typing this I'm reminded of a song from my childhood...feel free to sing along...

"One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
If you guessed THIS thing was not like the others,
Then you are absolutely ...right!"

Superman had some errands to run, and some shopping to do. He invited me to come, but I had other things in mind. I coulda gone shopping with my hubby, and my daughter, but...
 NO I instead chose to spend some quality time with 
my good friends DeWalt  and Makita. 
Sounds sophisticated doesn't it?
Superman didn't mind, he was happy to see me happy about a project. He knows I'm "not like the others" and has accepted it. 
He is happy when I am happy, and sometimes that means 
I need to use some power tools. 

ENOUGH ABOUT ME!
Wanna see my project?
It's not totally finished, but it's well on it's way :)
If you have spent any time here you know about my barn.
I'm working on flooring in the areas up in my studio.
I went to The Restore (Habitat for Humanity)looking 
for cheap inexpensive flooring and 
found something great for the bathroom! 
For a mere $25 I picked up 3 boxes of 
hardwood tongue and groove flooring.
 I didn't LOVE the color
(remember-I'm not like the others)
but I figured for the price I could make it work.


So I laid it out on the floor, and realized that I sorta loved 
the back of the boards better than the front...
 Once again...I am not like the others :)

I needed a couple of friends to help me with my project.
We get along well and get a lot done when we work together.

Progress...
Looking great!! Went pretty quick too!

This is the view of the bathroom in the studio


After I got the boards all down I puttied up the big cracks and filled in holes with Durham's Rock Hard Putty.


 Cute, isn't it!?
Now for the fun part! I used Superman's grinder with a wire wheel
and got after it! I ground each seam and here and there so that I would have the
hand scraped look with distressing where it needed it.
Understand that using this tool is pretty drastic. It can chew a hole it anything it comes in contact with pretty easily. If you are new at power tools, I wouldn't suggest it unless you are confident.
I don't always use safety glasses when I should, but I did here, along with a mask and good work gloves. I did nick my finger once-good thing I had the gloves on!


 And here it is ready to be stained and sealed...
which is going to have to wait until the drywall is done...
there is that word again...wait
I don't enjoy waiting
as a matter of fact I REALLY
don't like waiting!
Tap...tap...tap...I'm waiting......

2 comments:

  1. What did you end up using to stain and seal the floors. Working on a cool project with 100 year old distressed pine and likely using wax because of an existing finish in small pockets and grooves on the floor

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did you end up using to stain and seal the floors. Working on a cool project with 100 year old distressed pine and likely using wax because of an existing finish in small pockets and grooves on the floor

    ReplyDelete